Sunday, January 15, 2012

Social experiment time! Drawing cats vs. penises.

Have you ever wondered at the complex inner machinations of a college student's mind?  Have you ever wondered at said machinations and realized that they're pretty derpy as far as humans go?

Have you ever wondered what would happen if, given an optional prompt, how many people would draw a picture of a cat versus a picture of a penis on a whiteboard in a public setting?

Well, here's the social experiment that's JUST FOR YOU!  

The setting:  The hallway in my dorm which, as far as OU dorms go, is pretty nice and only admits sophomores or above.  

The tools: THE PEOPLE INVOLVED LOL.  Just kidding.  The dry erase board on the front of my door and a purple marker made readily available.  (The door, I should note, is right by a major exit from the floor that I live on, meaning it's got plenty of traffic going by it.)

The prompt:  "Social experiment time!  Every time you walk by this, draw either a cat or a dick." 

The "experiment" (I shouldn't really call it that because it's too stupid) was set to run for five days, the board being wiped at around midnight every night to allow room for the next day's shenanigans. 

See pictures and commentary of the results below the cut.

Note:  Pictures involving cat dongs, dongs that look like cats, cats that are made out of dongs, or anything else were tallied as both a cat and a penis.  DEALWITHIT.

Warning:  pictured below are stupid, harmless drawings of cats and phallic objects.  If you have any objection to either:  1) why are you reading this blog?  2) grow a friggin' sense of humor, NERD.  
Day one
Yeah, that dickcat counts as one of each.  Penises in the lead at the end of day 1, what a shock.
Day two
Yeah, I accidentally erased the whiteboard on the second day without taking any pictures.  I'M SORRY I'M SO UNPROFESSIONAL JEEZE

Day three
Between day 2 and 3, a major breakthrough happened.  CATS STARTED WINNING.  What is this... feeling?  Is it my faith in humanity slowly being restored?
...Wait, is that a cat impaled by a penis?  Nevermind.


Day four
Cats were still in the lead, but the foul display on day four was enough to make even the staunchest of humanists gouge their eyes out and set all of their books of philosophy aflame.  Tsk. Tsk.

DAY FIVE
Despite displaying some of the ugliest drawn cats that I have ever seen along with a caricature of a sandal (seriously, guys?), the final day shimmered a ray of hope in an otherwise dark world:  CATS HAD, AGAINST ALL ODDS,  ACTUALLY WON!
So, now that my little "social experiment" is done, what kinds of things have we learned?  

First off, not much, considering this is far from a proper experiment setting, especially with no hypothesis (aside from assuming that the phalluses would far outnumber the cats), no control, etc.  

But, if we can look past that, one can at least look at some questions raised by the events and speculate as to the answers.  For instance, WHY on earth did cats win, when most college students are pretty immature--I mean, I know I am--and when a dick is far easier to draw than a cat?

Most likely, it's because my hallway apparently has a lot of girls in it.  I say apparently because I rarely see any of them about (GET AT ME, GURLS.  Just kidding.  But really).  Another reason could also be the fact that the whiteboard is in a moderately public space, and some people might actually have some shreds of dignity left in their body, making the idea of drawing a penis pretty unpalatable.  

Another question raised by the testing:  why didn't more people write on the board?  Over five days, there should have been far more of a mess if every single person that walked by my door actually stopped to draw something. 

So why didn't they?  Hard to say.  Time is always a factor: people are busy, always rushing to and from the next big thing to do in their lives. Most probably either didn't have enough time to stop and draw something, or just plain didn't care about it at all.  

Some were also probably afraid that I would step out of my room to catch them drawing some sort of obscene message--though I totally wouldn't because I thrive on obscenity--and let their social anxiety get the better of them.  

But you know, this is all speculation about a silly, immature prompt that I had on the front of a door in a college dorm, so the most important question is: WHY DOES IT MATTER?

Answer:  it doesn't.  I was bored.  You just read all of this too and were probably pretty entertained.  So look at that, mister grumpyguts!  

EXPERIMENT DONE.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.  ROGER WILCO, OVER-AND-OUT.


2 comments: