Monday, June 11, 2012

Don't read this, you should be watching "Prometheus"

"Prometheus."  Go see it.  Stop reading up about my pathetic life through my writing and see something fucking real.

It was kind of a humbling experience, watching the movie.

The kickass crew of actors (Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron) fit the movie like, well, actors in a really good Ridley Scott movie should.  Rapace is the new Sigourney/Ripley, and good god is she as gorgeous and badass as the new female protagonist any "Alien"-lover could only hope and dream for.
I wish this movie didn't feature you getting the shit beat out of you so much, girl,
but if it makes you feel any better you made me fall in love with you while it happened.
/SUPERCREEPYMODEDISENGAGE
Story-wise, too, it blazes along the well-traveled path of great science fiction that causes us to question our humanity, like a sequence of contaminated, foreign DNA racing through the body of one of the film's unfortunate souls.  The movie's terrifying in a psychological way, even moving beyond the hideous alien forms and their murderous tendencies.

Of course, the special effects and sound design are great, too (convincing boom booms and deepass alien-sounding bass). But there are also some truly mind-blowing examples of cinematography in the film that aren't going to leave my mind anytime soon.  Yeah, the script isn't particularly inspiring at times and there are a few "plot holes" if you could call them such, but they still aid the overall experience in a meaningful way.

I really don't want to say much more or do a write-up of this movie because, seriously, you should just go see it.  It honestly makes me incredibly depressed -- the fact that I'll most likely never create something on the same scale of "Prometheus."  Most of the strands come together -- narrative, music, cinematography, acting, special effects -- to make a nearly pitch-perfect sci-fi film.  It's unforgettable.

WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT

Oh... one more thing.

SPOILERS SPOILERS DON'T LOOK BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET

....

....

....

....

....

Okay, you still here?

You know that scene where Noomi Rapace performs a c-section on herself to pretty much abort an alien fetus/baby?  Yeah, that actually happened. I had to pinch myself because WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED oh my god I can't even believe my eyeholes what the shit that was incredible

Also, I'm pretty sure half of the audience in the theater were devout christians.  Master stroke, Mr. Scott, master stroke.

2 comments:

  1. I'd pay money to see it again just so I could see Michael Fassbender act as a robot for two hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved him because he was super HAL-like but even more diabolic while still acting really personable. IAGO THE ROBOT.

    ReplyDelete